Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A new Beginning

When Barack Obama takes the oath of office today, he will do so upon the Bible that his personal political hero, Abraham Lincoln, used for his own swearing in, in 1861.
Using Lincoln's Bible is one of a few personal touches that Obama has put on the inaugural ceremony.
Though I don't really like incorporating TV in the classroom, today I will! I feel that it is important for children to watch the presidential Inauguration, especially one that is set to break all records. This particular inauguration is set to break all records: it will be the most costly (which I don't really aggree with, I mean seriously we are in an economic crisis - 50 million dollars to protect and serve a crowd of 2.5 million), most security-conscious, and most watched in U.S. history.
By lunchtime, the United States will have its 44th president. I just hope with this new president we will find it to be an easier country to live in economically!!

9 comments:

Kim said...

I hear ya girl!
Come check out my blog I've tagged you for an award! God Bless

Anonymous said...

I would definitely show the inaguration to students. History was made today!

Susel said...

I would show the inaguration too. I saw it.. felt a little teary eyed myself. I cannot believe that I am part of this history in the making moment.

Louise said...

That is neat!!
Congrats on your new President :)

Katelin said...

oh i agree. great day.

Tracy said...

Definatley worth showing in the classroom. No matter what anyone's political views are today was a very historic day for our country. I had it on to watch with Madison. She didn't get it at all and kept asking if Barrack Obama had something to do with her birthday tomorrow. Oh well at least someday I can say she saw it.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure the kids will appreciate it later on down the road...knowing that they had a chance to witness history!

EP said...

I didn't realize that he was sworn in with the Bible Abe Lincoln used. That's cool!

And I'm sure your students will appreciate watching it later in life. It was such a glorious day!

Anna said...

The school I work in also showed the inauguration. The young students probably didn't know what was going on, but I'm sure they will appreciate it someday! I'm glad your school showed it too.